Columbus First United Methodist Church
Monday, May 20, 2013
Come grow with us!
Discipleship Plan for 2013
Columbus FUMC 2013 DISCIPLESHIP PLAN
Church/Town Name: First United Methodist Church in Columbus, Nebraska
OUR MISSION FIELD: The city of Columbus is approximately 22,000 people. FUMC’s mission field is the city and nearby surrounding areas. A MissionInsite study was performed in 2009 projecting an increase in the study area population from 25,742 in 2008 to 26,105 in 2013. As population components, White is expected to decrease while Hispanic/Latino will increase. The community job base is industrial and agricultural. There is an exciting proposal for a new complex to include in one location a new middle school, YMCA, and health and other services. The first school bond issue vote failed, but there will likely be subsequent proposals.
VISION: To be a center for Christian growth and outreach.
MISSION GOALS - Come Grow With Us!
I. COME – Invite people to church, its activities and a relationship with Christ.
II. GROW – develop as disciples in all six marks of Christian discipleship, especially service.
III. WITH US – recognize that all, including long-time members have need and opportunity to grow.
a. INVITE- Be more intentional to encourage visitors and new members to join us in the Alpha course, Emmaus, Sunday School, Bible study, and other fellowship and small group opportunities.
b. COMMUNICATE- Increase effectiveness of communications (written, oral and electronic).
c. WITNESS- Share in worship and elsewhere regarding the benefits of Christian discipleship and growth in small groups.
a. CHRISTIAN CENTER- Expand the use of the Center for youth and community outreach ministries.
b. SERVICE- Opportunities will be presented in all areas (pray, worship, Bible, serving, relationship, and giving), but we plan to focus on developing our service and outreach to the community.
c. TOGETHERNESS- Start a new adult Sunday School class and one or two other classes or groups.
III. WITH US
a. EVERYONE- Communicate the idea that we current members also need to participate more in growth opportunities and then as a side benefit, we will be more able to invite new people to join in the growth.
b. HOSPITALITY- Improve our commitment to hospitality.
c. SUPPORT- Facilitate leaders by training and challenge.
2012 MINISTRY ASSESSMENT
1) Phase 2 - building remodel completed.
2) Year-end is not here, but ministry shares were paid in full in 2011
3) Average worship attendance is on a slight upward trend through 2011.
Five-year Summary of FUMC Membership and Attendance Statistics
4) Sunday School attendance is on a slight upward trend through 2011.
5) Saturday night worship attendance has increased over the last few years.
6) Several prayer initiatives including Upper Room devotionals; protocols at youth meetings, committee and team meetings, and worship; Upper Room remote prayer line, etc.
7) Feasibility study and approval to extend the lease of the Christian Center for youth and community outreach ministries, including approval to hire a full-time staff person to support these ministries.
8) Held a Change the World day involving 55 members working on seven community projects.
9) Held a 12-week leadership class with 25 participants.
10) Nominations and Leadership Development recruited more committee/team members creating ministry groups averaging 27% larger plus recruited some people to be on project support lists.
2013 MEASURES OF EFFECTIVENESS
1) Expand ministries at the Christian Center, e.g., more youth activity, backpack program, contemporary worship service.
2) Pay all ministry shares.
3) Reduce remodel loan to half of the original principal.
4) Increase average worship attendance by 10, or 2.5%).
5) Increase average adult Sunday School attendance by 5, or 5.2%).
6) Increase total group membership by 40, or 5.8%.
7) Increase support of Saturday night service (announcements, testimonies, special music, etc.).
Building Remodel – The Building Committee guided a successful remodel construction project finished on time and within budget. A $300,000 loan was taken out to finish up the project payments.
Future Team – A Future Team met several times over a_4 ½ -month period to develop the proposal for Christian Center-based ministries into 2013, including a lease extension of the Center and hiring a full-time staff person in support of these ministries. This included planning, communicating, and finding significant financial support for the proposal.
Youth Ministry - Youth ministry at FUMC continues to grow thanks to excellent leadership and the functionality of the Christian Center. Three UMYF groups (Katalyst, Fever, and Sparks), Youth Choir, Methodist Youth Talent Troupe, Improv, Summer Musical, and Venture Crew provide something for everybody. In October it was typical for sixty kids to be in attendance on a Wednesday evening. The UMYF is keen on hosting family activities like a carnival and a football tailgate barbecue.